Thursday, July 26, 2012

Squeeky Clean

Today was gorgeous out.  The sun was shining, there was a slight warm breeze in the air, and little puffy clouds floated in the sky.  It was one of those rare days that a person can truly appreciate.  Its also one of those days that is absolutely perfect for giving your dog a bath. 

Now I have to preface this posting with a statement that Cassie, our wonderful 11 year old dalmation, is never really "dirty" unless she decides to go in the nearby pasture and roll in fresh horse poop.  She is an inside dog for the most part unless we are outside doing stuff or go out in the woods to hike.  But no matter how clean she stays there is no denying that she gets a little funky smelling.  During the summer because she is outside a lot more that Odor De Stinky Pooch gets to be a bit stronger so I try to give her a nice warm bath once every 3 weeks or so.

For years Cassie has fought me when it comes to a bath which I've never understood because I raised labs growing up and whenever there was any form of water nearby they were more than willing to jump in.  Cassie on the other hand used to act like it was a punishment.  She'd tuck her tail between her legs and give me these sad looks as I'd have to take her by the collar and coax her into the bathroom.  I've long since given up trying to do it outside with a hose  and a tub because any time I turned around she'd just jump out and go to the furthest corner of  the yard.  This summer however she seems to like it a bit more.  I think the old tiredness in her bones goes away while I'm soaping her up with warm suds and scrubbing.  She now leans into it.  So even though she gives me these "I don't like this idea" look when I tell her its bath time, once she gets in and feels the warm water rolling over her she seems to enjoy it.



And of course its even better on days like this where she gets a nice warm bath than is able to air dry in the sun outside.  First she runs around the yard shaking off the excess water and then she finds a cozy spat to lay and soak up the rays.  I can't say as I blame her.  Today while she was out drying in the sun I was flaked out on a beach towel, reading a good book, and enjoying the sun.  So now I have a squeeky clean dog who positively glows... now if I could just make the rest of the stuff in my house clean up so easily.

No comments: