Friday, July 20, 2012

Aggravation

It is truly amazing how quickly life can turn on itself.  There are days that you have amazing highs and others that consist of frustrating lows.  At the beginning of the week I was offered a job with the local school, one of those amazing highs, then by Wednesday night I was called by one of the jobs hiring committees and told that I came in second on a position as a Canadian Lynx biologist in Coleville.  I know I can't be too frustrated by all this but I am.  Yet again I was told that I'm super competitive and made the decision a hard one for the hiring committee, which really is a compliment, but I am tired of being the "almost" gal.  But I can't blame them for hiring who they did either.  It came down to me and another person with 5 years of research experience on lynx and bobcat as well as a completed masters degree.  If I was in their position I'd do the same thing.  They are getting a bigger bang for their buck.  Its just frustrating to me that a person that should be putting in for higher pay/experience positions are putting in for the same ones I am, but I suppose that's just the employment market we're in. 

I just shouldn't let it get me down because I know when the time is right things will work out for the best.  And as I've said maybe teaching is a higher calling that I've been ignoring.  People that are close to me keep saying that I'm good at it and Mace keeps telling me that he can tell that it makes me happy, which I can't deny.  I come home telling him stories about the crafty things we're doing, projects we're working on, activities and the ups and downs of my day.  And I'm not nearly as tired at the end of the day as I was when working in my own career field.  But that was a good kind of tired as well.  I really am glad I get the chance to do more work at the school and experience new things working with kids with special needs, but I'm not going to let that stop me from still trying to find my "dream job" whatever that might be.

In other news I had a great conversation with my mom last night on the phone.  We've both been so busy with our mutual activities that we hadn't had the chance to talk for a couple months.  Time flies!  But after 3 hours of catching up we knew the skinny on what each of us has been up to.  She told me that my sister Robin and her family are flying down to Denver to see my other sister Brenda and her family and Mom is inviting herself down so she can see them all.  If that doesn't work out hopefully the whole gang will go up to Cheyenne to visit Mom and participate in some Frontier Days activities.  With Robin coming from New York and her boys living there most of their lives they've never done the CFD stuff like Brenda's kids have done all their lives.  I think going to the parades, hitting up a pancake breakfast, going to the Indian Village, and having fun at the rodeo and carnival would be right up the ally. Hopefully either way it works out they will email me some pictures to see how everyone has grown up.

No comments: