Sunday, July 8, 2012

Half Way Point

Here it is July 8th and its hard to believe that summer is already half over with.  I've been so busy trying to catch up on household projects and other random events that I've barely noticed that it was even summer.  But now that our busy and high stress business with the fireworks booth is done with for the year its finally time to find some fun things to do with the rest of our summer.  Mace and I were hoping that we'd have a great year with fireworks and be able to take a week or two and go back to the Oregon coast to play on the beach but with the 4th being on a Wednesday we had one of the worst years ever so that's just not going to happen.  Also there are other things around the house that need the money worse soooo we are trying to think of some cheap alternatives. 

I'm always up for going camping but Mace is not much of a camper.  He loves doing stuff in the outdoors ie hiking, hunting, looking for antlers, morel picking, and going and getting wood but since he's always lived so close to the woods he's never really had the desire to camp.  He can go out and do all this stuff and then come back home to a nice cozy bed.  While I understand his point of view its a bit frustrating for me since I LOVE to camp.  I love putting up a tent, cooking over a fire, enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning by a stream or lake, and not being connected to the "real world" for a few days at a time.  But I am hoping I can convince him to do a night or two up on Chicago or Bloom Peak so we can have mountain goats visiting us in the morning.  Coolest experience ever if you haven't ever had it.  They are so far up there that they rarely get human visitors and are so curious that they will come and feed right up against your camp and sniff at you if you are just sitting on a rock.  SOOOOOO COOL! 

I just keep thinking that we are always too serious too much of the time.  Granted there are serious things going on in our lives so its not too much of surprise but last year when we were able to just take a few days after my Vancouver interview and play we came home with so much more energy and such a positive attitude that I think its something we need to do every once in a while.  If I can't convince him to go camping maybe I can convince him to go up to Kalispel/Flathead to hang out with Kenny and Kami for a couple days.  My folks rented an amazing little cottage/room in Big Fork a few years ago when they were on vacation and it would only be about 20 minutes from Kenny and Kami's house.  While it is a bit more expensive than roughing it in the woods it would be a nice change of pace.  Mace and Kenny get along so well that I'm sure they'd find something to go do while Kami and I could either bake or go putzing around Kalispel and Whitefish.  Also Erin and Dan are living in Kalispel now so we could all really get into some trouble.

But until I can figure out the perfect little mini break vacation we'll just keep chugging along with the daily grind.  I'm putting in applications all over the place and actually have a few interviews lined up for the next couple weeks.  Seems like I always have that going on any more.  Which don't get me wrong is a good thing but I wish I would here that I'm hired rather than that I made it to the final 2 or 3 but just didn't quite get the job.  At least I have my contract with the preschool already signed and submitted so I have that to fall back on.  Meredith has been so supportive.  She really loves having me as her aid but understands that I want to get back into my own field and has given me some glowing recommendations.  Truly she is an amazing woman.  She, Bruce, and their son Cade even came and bought a few fireworks at the booth this year just to stop by and say hello.  I wish no matter what we end up doing  I could pack her up and take her along.  But that's just not the way the world works.  Sometimes I wonder if this process is somehow God telling me to change my path but I can seem to get confirmation one way or another.  Each interview I arrange gives me hope yet when the job doesn't come through it makes me question everything else.  I guess that's just the way things work some times.

No comments: