Thursday, March 5, 2009

Still Sore

I woke up this morning at my usual 4:30 and even in the dark of my room I could see that my ankle was huge and even more discolored than yesterday. Fortunately however it wasn't as sore as I thought it would be (though the rest of my body was) and headed off to work as usual. I decided that rather than run the risk of slipping again on a weak ankle up in the steep terrain I'd spend the day getting some old growth stand exams done in some river/creek bottoms and take it a bit easier. I still probably ended up hiking 10 miles or so today but I wasn't fighting the amount of snow that I would have been up several thousand feet. It was a gorgeous morning and I was working in nice cedar and hemlock stands that really didn't have much snow at all because of how thick they are, but my luck didn't last. By 1 this afternoon though I'd been dumped on by another storm that swung into the area. I'm talking those monster snow flakes that look really cool when they are falling but you can see them build up on the ground after 5 minutes of watching them. I really thought that perhaps spring was going to "sprung" but the weather gods are working against me. By the time I got back to my pickup this evening it was covered by about 18 inches of fresh snow and I had to chain up yet again to get back home. This snow is just so heavy over the roads that were muddy and slick already I wasn't going to risk sliding off anywhere. But at least now I am home, showered, and in a glorious pair of nice warm DRY pjs. There is something to be said for being dry and being able to elevate a sprained ankle in the evenings... lol. Hope everyone had as interesting of a day as I did.

No comments: