Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fireworks Frenzy!

Its that time of year again.  The 4th of July is only 10 days away and of course for me and Mace that means selling fireworks for the next 10 days.  Now until I started dating Mace my fireworks experience was limited to the old style metal sparklers that my family would light on the back deck after we'd gone to the big Cheyenne public fireworks display.  My family left it to the professionals but around here the town/county doesn't do any kind of public display and individuals light off fireworks at home.  So about 10 years ago Mace started a fireworks business here in town and has been really successful with it.  Once I came into the picture I became the business's bookkeeper since I am the master of all paperwork and we've made a fantastic team.  Each year I become a little more involved and look forward to the day we start.  Today is that day.

Yesterday we spent 14 hours moving the booth over town, setting it up, getting our order, making sure everything is displayed properly, checking our booth safety measure, etc.  All of which is a lot of hard physical work but its also really exciting, especially when our order arrived and we were able to see for the first time the new products we get to sell.  There is so much this year that looks like it would be amazing to see fired off.  Luckily I'll get to see most of the items because its local people buying them and on the 4th I'll sit on my own porch and watch around town. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the new 500 gram aerial displays and some of the new artillery shells go off because the performance rating on them is spectacular.... and really who doesn't like sparkly lighted stuff exploding at night???

Today is our "grand" opening.  We had a bunch of people stop by yesterday asking when we were opening up and were a little upset that they couldn't buy things yesterday but the federal government controls the selling period for fireworks and we can only go from the 24th of June to the 4th of July.  Hopefully that didn't discourage those folks from coming today.  So in the next few minutes Mace and I will go over town and finish pricing all the items (by 8 last night we'd had enough!) and open the doors.  We're both really hoping for a good year and are a little nervous since the 4th falls on a Wednesday this year which traditionally makes for a bad sales year, but we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.  So wish us luck and hopefully we'll see a few of you drop buy and say hello.

No comments: