Friday, October 14, 2011

Rainy Day Blues Washed Away!



Though I've never really had a poor initial interview for any of the outfits I've submitted applications to, today I possibly had the best initial interview ever. I work today to rain, fog, gloominess and a foreboding of the day going downhill, but to my surprise my phone interview was so exhilarating that my whole attitude has changed.


This morning I had a 30 minute initial screening interview with a 4 person panel for a position with the NRCS and Pheasants Forever in Belle Fouche, South Dakota. The folks on the panel consisted of the Western Director of the Sage Grouse Initiative, the private lands supervisor for the S.D Game and Fish, and the two contacts I would have as direct supervisors if I were to get this position. Three out of four of these people work out of the same office and obviously have a good thing going. They were young, vibrant, and excited about the work there were doing. Its only been in the last year that the Sage Grouse Initiative has been a part of South Dakota's land and wildlife management strategy so really I would be coming in on the ground floor of a project that I have really wanted to be involved in. The panel was so enthusiastic about where they project could take them and how much it could improve the landscape that I was able to feed off their excitement and really able to communicate about the projects I've been involved with, why I'm so interested in collaborative work between state, federal, and private land owners, and what assets I could bring to the project as a whole. I wish that I could capture that feeling every time I interview for something because it really took it to a whole new level. I should know by mid-week next week if they want to do either an in person interview or one done via video conference since I live so far away. I really hope they do because frankly this is one of the few outfits that I felt like I could really fit in with and also do something amazing with.




So now that I'm super charged I need to use my energy for good. Step 1... write in my blog... check. Step 2... go through clothes and decide which ones are keepers and which ones need to go to Goodwill. Step 3... clean out my file cabinet of junk paperwork I don't need anymore (something I've been procrastinating on for waaaaaaayy to long). Step 4...not a clue at the moment but I'm sure I'll come up with something fantastic and goal oriented.




Have a good weekend everyone!






No comments: